Thursday 29 October 2009

Sister Act


Who would have thought that a simple trip to the bank would turn out as eventful as mine was today?!

Cycling down to Balham to pay off my AMEX card ... "never leave home without it!" I have that motto well ingrained in my mind and as from the day I started my blog I have applied it to: Canon EOS 5D, never leave home without it!

Here I am, cycling along Balham High Road at a fair pace - so I thought :) ahead of me on the pavement I spot a mobility scooter. Not just any old mobility scooter. No, the lady driving it seems to be in a real hurry. I see a lovely photo opportunity and have to get a move on to catch up with my subject.

I step a bit more into the pedals and I'm soon alongside the lady. Without stopping I take a couple of shots. Not bad but maybe I should try a slower shutter speed to capture a bit of movement. Still peddling, I quickly turn the shutter speed dial down and take another shot. This thing is moving fast! Just a few pedestrians to dodge which happens very skilfully :) I have to make a real effort to keep up because I have a few cars and a lorry slowing me down ... Let's see who can make it first to the traffic light.

Can you imagine, I just get pipped at the post! Well that's what happens when you're faced with racing a well rehearsed Sister Act!

"You beat me to it sister. You are flying along in this!"

"Yes, it does 4 miles an hours!"

How lovely, I thought. Certainly beats walking!

It felt good to see someone enjoying herself so much when it was clear from the crutches in the "boot of her car" that she must find it difficult to walk without help...

I must have carried my good humour forward to the bank. No queues. That's a great start! And, Jahinah, the bank clerk, emits lovely vibes from behind the glass that separates us. I take a quick shot and get a lovely smile!

"Jahinah,What a lovely name!"

"It's African and means Gift of God."


Next, on my way back to my bike I spotted my Buddhist friend, Ian, hanging out at his local coffee shop. He spots me too. Again I get a great reception!

I love it when people appreciate the moments a photographer can seize!





1 comment:

  1. Hi! i am pleased to see this lovely picture of myself on your website! It was good to meet you and find out about your love for photography!.

    Thankyou for photographing me and making my day, i think you caught me in the middle of laughing with my mouth wide open! lol.

    ReplyDelete