Thursday 22 October 2009

Bill, George and Bumblebee


Busy day. I had things to do and places to go to in Balham.

I lock my bike and who do I bump into : none other than Bill - he doesn't really remember me ... no a real surprise there as he has the same glazed yet cheerful look on his face he had when I first set eyes on him months ago...

I do my chores including a visit to the bank and the supermarket.

Not far from where I left my bike I spot George. I push my bike over the zebra crossing and get recognized immediately!

"Ah you took a photo the other day!"

Now how about that, I didn't even have to start the conversation :)

So we get chatting. Customers come, get served and take their coffee with them. They all seem to have a smile on their face and leave happier than when they placed their order!

"I never stopped before because I don't drink coffee... but I have always noticed how friendly you are with your customers ...!"

"So now you stopped because I'm friendly. That's OK too!"

"Sure! And I can see that you do teas! Not a huge selection but tea it is!"

"Peppermint or Green Tea?"

"Green Tea, please."

"Large or small?"

"Small is fine, thank you."

Strangely enough, George's coffee is not from Brazil but from Colombia. He seems to believe it's the better coffee...
As it happens he loves photography and wants to buy a camera.

"When you do, make sure it's a Canon!"

The tea is piping hot so I stay a little longer... for more chit chat. Apparently George often sees me on my bike ... probably as often as I notice him. It's funny how even strangers can be part of other people's lives ... I notice things all the time and run a story in my mind whether I take a picture of it or not ... naturally one recognises people in ones area... one even notices them changing ...kids growing up, youth getting older ... As I cycle around almost daily, I often wondered whether I too play a part in people's lives ... people who don't even know me?

Today was definitely also a day of bumping into people I do know a bit better. Still on the highroad, heading back home I stop to chat with Sharon who lives a few doors down from me while nodding hello to Leanne, a neighbour from only two doors up from me.

It was all happening in Balham Today! Policemen galore stopping cars left right and centre. Policemen, I noticed, are a touch suspicious seeing people with cameras. I hang around wanting to know what the fuss was about when, surprise surprise, an officer comes over to me.

"I see you are interested in what we are doing. Maybe it's best you come off the road however.We are pulling cars over here ... and you are not very visible."

No, I wasn't and nor was my camera by the looks of it :)

"You may have heard of operation "Bumblebee"? Beginning of October the Metropolitan Police has relaunched this very successful campaign to crackdown on burglaries in the capital."

"Yes, I do remember it. It was in the nineties wasn't it?!"
"Yes and it was very successful. Londoners seem to remember it well so the Met have decided to bring it back. What we are doing here is clamping down on drivers who are driving illegally."

Wow, OK ! Yes, I am interested in what the Police is doing but my instinct tells me that I also want to document it. So while talking to the officer I take a photo from the hip.
Not sure whether this guy is "guilty" or not ...


The evidence I get a few minutes later, however, points towards the fact that the operation conducted here today has already proven very successful. I counted three arrests so far.











No comments:

Post a Comment