Wednesday 21 October 2009

Out of nowhere.


Another day, another blog. Another day, the same dreary weather... and still, I look forward to the challenge of picking up a shot each day ... not just any old shot ... no, a shot with a story.

Come to think of it, every shot actually tells two stories. Firstly the story of how it came about. By that I mean the photographer's story that is linked to having taken any given image. How the photograph came about, what inspired the photographer and prompted him/her to take the shot and what the photographer intends to convey with the image, all is concealed within a story.

Secondly there is the story the image will invite the viewer to have when seeing any given photo. Sometimes the viewer knows nothing about how and why a picture was taken and yet he or she will start running a story for themselves. Naturally, the intensity and strength of an image will have a direct impact on the intensity and longevity of the impression it will (hopefully) provoke.

Street photography is pretty unique in that sense because unless the photographer focuses on a particular aspect of street photography, let's say poverty or life in a shopping mall for example, anything could happen. Without a specific approach or brief for the assignment, the photographer has to stay open to all eventualities.

I choose to stay open. For the time being at least. This means that I am observing everyone and everything. I am literally constantly on the look out for "something".

When setting off I sometimes only know in the very last minute where to go. Nothing is pre- planned as such. Today, I thought of Streatham. I soon noticed that nothing much was inspiring me to even stop and consider taking a shot.

I am sure you will have come across the feeling of almost doing a "double take" when you see something, or stopping in your track to look at something. This is the feeling I get when I feel the urge to take a shot. Only I don't do a "double take", I immediately take a shot. Sometimes even two! However, today, it wasn't happening so far.

Other than seeing an old man on the ground in the middle of the road surrounded by people, nothing prompts me to stop. Not knowing the story behind the old man's incident I move on. He was looked after so no need to rubber neck for too long.

The only urge I felt in Streatham was to leave... quite quickly :) The highroad is usually very busy. Today was no different and my feeling that it lacks atmosphere gets reinforced. In fact I feel a bit at a loss and out of place in this part of Streatham.

The days are getting shorter and the light being the way it has been for the past few days, I was beginning to wonder where my shot of the day was going to be coming from :)

I got back to my parked bike and cycled another route into Balham. I wondered where I would stop. I knew something was about to jump out at me ... but what :) Relax, I though!

Something guided me to get off at the back entrance of Sainsbury's. I swing off Bedford Hill and left into Sainsbury's car park. As I passed the back entrance an image that simply told the story of how I felt for a while today, caught my eye.
Quick, I need to get rid of my bike so that I can get closer without disturbing the scene. Luckily, a pole came to my rescue. I untangle the camera from around my neck and shoulder. I get close enough to place my camera with the 50mm f.1.8 just below hip height and release the shutter (without looking through the lens). My subject is oblivious not only of my action ... but probably of a lot more too! Nobody else in sight ... at least not while I was taking the shot :)



No comments:

Post a Comment