Thursday 15 October 2009

"The sun is out, the sky is blue and so are you dear ..


... Prudence (or as the case may be: dear London!) won't you come out to play ..." Beatles, Beatles on my mind!

What an amazing Autumn day!

London has so many great landmarks and I really think that over the course of time I must bring you as many of them as possible. Specially as I want to strike a good balance between capturing what's happening in the Streets, Parks and Commons of London as well showing off all the lovely landmarks and buildings London offers.

As always, London was heaving with tourists. I had my work cut out as I desperately wanted to avoid having a shot full of people... unless they added something quirky to the image.

With that in mind I made my way to Trafalgar Square. I have always admired the fabulous building of The National Gallery... however, it is never a place for solitude... what was I going to capture there? Pigeons? Plenty of those around .. but .. No thanks! Although one may be forgiven for thinking that they may present a great alternative to having lots of people in shot :)

Great fountains to play with ... water is always such a thankful subject .. but water alone didn't cut it for me either!

The square was literally basking in sunshine. The early afternoon light on the main building of The National Gallery was warmer than I expected. It all looked good and inviting. I only had to find an angle that kept the people percentage to a minimum without eliminating them all together. Trafalgar Square without any people would just not be right!

I feel that the angle I ended up opting for has enough people in it to add atmosphere without taking away from the glorious building and the water features.

My only disappointment is the cloud formation that had suddenly crept in ... almost from nowhere :)

For this reason and this reason alone I simply have to show you a second photo today. It's too strong not to share it and with a sky like today's I simply had to show it off!

Could it be that after having lived in London for 23 years, Eros has finally struck his arrow imbued in magic love potion at me too?!


The Shot of Eros (who unleashes his arrows at Piccadilly Circus) was taken with the Canon 135mm f2.0L lens.

For the shot of The National Gallery at Trafalgar Square I used the Canon 50mm f1.4 - I love it so much as it reproduces without distorting the image in the slightest.

Anything below 50mm is classified as a wide angle lens. Even a 35mm lens would inevitably distort a bit.

1 comment: