Monday 12 October 2009

Lost or forgotten?


Might that be how I am feeling today .... ahhh, yes I knows sounds bad doesn't it :)

I took favourite lens (Canon EF 70-200 2.8L) to be looked at by Fixation on Oct.1st. Although it still takes great shots the zoom ring felt loose - my diagnosis: some screws needed tightening. Little did I know...

Twelve days later, no news. Time for me to call.
"Zoom flexor, rear assembly and narrow barrel all need replacing! That's £ 178.32 for the parts and £95 for labour, plus VAT."

"What?! That's £314.32!"

"Yes that's right. The technician took the lens apart and that's what he noticed. It seems that this must have happened due hard impact."

"That's impossible. I have neither dropped nor knocked the lens."

The lady on the other end of the line insist that this is what happened and that all three components needed replacing.

"You get three months warranty with it."

"Wear and tear" would have sounded more plausible. The lens has served me well over the years. I think I have owned it for at least 15 years. Mind you I look after my equipment really well - lenses and cameras are always wrapped in shammy leather so how this could have happened I simply don't know?

Anyway, forgotten I definitely felt as nobody bothered to call me with an estimate... Now, I feel lost on top of it!

Should I bite the bullet and cough up the dow?! or continue using the lens as it is? It is still taking great shots. I can always have it repaired when it either stops taken crisp shots or literally falls apart :)

Oh well, funny how when I went on my daily blog shot outing I came across a seemingly
fitting image!

What would you say: forgotten or lost?








No comments:

Post a Comment