Saturday 17 October 2009

From dull to bright


There is always lots happening at London's South Bank and well worth a visit ... even on a dull day like today!

I took the tube to Waterloo and walked towards the river (Thames) - One can't but help immediately see The London Eye. At a second glance, however, it looked a bit odd today ... hey, one of the capsules was missing ... I wonder how much that cost the company in revenue?!

The main cultural attractions of the South Bank are The Queen Elizabeth Hall, The Royal Festival Hall, The Hayward Gallery and The BFI as they offer a variety of cultural events.

One may be forgiven for not liking the modern architecture of these building but they are bang opposite Big Ben and The Houses of Parliament which means a great view is virtually guaranteed.

I walked around concrete jungle for a while ... admittedly there are some interesting angles from which to get some unusual shots but that grey sky acting as a dull backdrop for these grey buildings just put a creative dampener on it for me.

But as I came round a corner, close to the BFI I saw a young man practicing some free run moves. I immediately got a bit excited and and moved my camera up to my eye to. Fortunately I had my Canon 135mm f2.0L lens on and could get a tight enough image without disturbing the athlete.

I guess it's in my blood and I just love capturing action. This guy was pretty impressive! He must have been there for a while cause after performing three immaculate somersaults ( which I all got!) over a set of stairs he took his bag and moved on.

With those shots on the bag I moved on too.

I wanted more action and got it immediately. Below the Hayward Gallery there is an area for skate boarders and BMX riders.

This time I needed to switch lenses and reverted to my Canon 50mm f.1.4. Good choice as I got all of the action as well as the wonderfully colourful background.

Nothing like finishing on a high note!




1 comment:

  1. Very cool babe. This blog is soon gonna be a great guide to parts of London one never sees! You are fabulous.
    Big hug from your buddy!

    ReplyDelete