Wednesday 14 October 2009

One month on


One month on, to the day, and I am still producing my daily blog!

Isn't it amazing how one month can just fly by ... and if it hadn't been for creating my blog I'm not sure whether I would have taken my cameras for such regular outings :)

A month ago I set out with the aim of exploring London and to see what it's like to venture into a new field. I wanted to improve my visual awareness and, at the end of my shooting session, share the photo of the day on my blog.

So far it's been quite diverse. I started off roaming the streets of London and found catching photographs of people trickier than I had anticipated. I have always been genuinely fascinated by people. I love observing their natural behaviour at work as well as at play. Being the fly on the wall. My main objective being to catch people as they are - to reveal the essence of (at least) a part of who they are. It is fascinating how an immortalised split second can tell a story.

The same principal applies to every thing one photographs.

Yes, I get a real kick out of observing anything through my various lenses. In fact each lens gives me a different approach and I am very mindful about which lens I use for which occasion. The nature of the subject and what I want to convey will guide me towards the perfect focal length. For equestrian photography which I had been doing for 20 years the obvious choice had always been a telephoto lens. The beautiful Canon 300mm f.2.8L had become my standard lens. It used to never leave my side and produced wonderful portraits as well as stunning action shots. When I got commissioned to do Visions of Polo I moved to the Canon 400mm f.2.8L and had a lot of fun with it. I couldn't be as mobile with it mind you. Forget hand holding it. It weighs a ton!

For most of my other work, having a zoom lens as opposed to a fixed focal lens can be a great advantage. Specially as sometimes there is no telling how close one can get to the subject. As always, framing is everything. Without fail I set out to make sure everything in my frame is there by choice. The nature of my current project will mean that I now favour a telephoto zoom lens - I love the range my 70-200mm lens gives me. It allows for more flexibility. And means that one can get away with not having to physically move towards or away from ones subject. The lens can do this for you. But a piece of advice. Make sure you realise that each focal lens within the mentioned range can create a different effect. The major distinction being the varying capability in depth of field.

I'm not a big fan of wide angle lenses. The widest lens I feel comfortable with is a 35mm. However, I prefer the standard 50mm lens. And have beautiful one!

But enough theory for one day! I have work to do :)

Feeling much better greatly thanks to inhaling and an acupuncture session with Selena I thought of traveling into central London. EC1, Barbican / Farrington area for a couple of hours.

I had my 50mm on the camera and the 135mm with me. Just in case ..:)

I particularly enjoyed walking around Farrington. I took me back more than 20 years. A lot of photographic labs were in that area when I first started off in photography.

I had forgotten how beautiful the buildings around there are.

I was immediately drawn to the unique building style only England and London in particular has to offer.

Then the fabulous and famous Smithfield meat market. Complete destroyed during the Second World War it got rebuild back to its full glory. It still occupies a prime position with London EC1.

I couldn't help hanging around in the wonderful hall. It was 3 pm and the only activity left was that of cleaning the place, getting it ready for the next working morning where I'm sure the place will be heaving.







No comments:

Post a Comment