Tuesday 20 October 2009

Up up and away


I got a phone call from Fixation to say that my Canon 70-200mm f2.8 lens was repaired and ready!

With little delay I jumped on my bike. EOS 5D and 50mm f1.8 lens round my neck. It wouldn't take me long to get to Fixation. They are literally a 25 minute bike ride away, on the other side of The Oval Cricket Ground. Not the most scenic journey but hey, I can't wait to get favourite lens back and into action!

First stop is the traffic light at the corner of Balham tube station. It's been a while now that I have been wanting to stop and chat to the chap who operates a little coffee van just outside the tube station. He looks so friendly... but, I don't drink coffee ... so I never dared cause I didn't know how would I start a conversation?! Today was no different ... and yet... I had my 50mm lens and I was at perfect shooting distance for the lens. He served a man and then saluted a lady who was next in line for her fix ... sadly I was too slow to get that... but he saw me from the corner of his eye and waved at me ...I smiled ... and then noticing an old man approaching and heading straight into frame I released the shutter anyway! The lights turned green and before you knew it I was off! I'll have to strike a conversation to find out more about the coffee business some other time :)



On I went, my little legs were giving it their all. Up a slight hill and down another. Clapham, Stockwell and finally the turn off at The Oval tube station. A quick shortcut (around the best part of The Oval) took me bang opposite to where I had to be.

Soon after entering Fixation I was £315 lighter and I had favourite lens back! How good does that feel? Awesome!

Off I went to try it out. A funny object on top of a building catches my eye. I squeak to a halt take shot. I love it! So much so that I want to share it on my blog ... but the story that enfolded soon after I had taken the shot sadly doesn't allow for it. No, I didn't get mobbed, in case you are worried :) I'm absolutely fine! Suffice it to say that I may have landed a job that should it materialise I wouldn't want to use that particular shot on my blog ...

On I went, still wanting to use my repaired lens. I stop at Clapham Common and play with the ducks at the pond. It's all looking so grey and uninspiring though... My challenge is to catch a pigeon in flight. Not easy as they flap their wings around pretty wildly!

But hey, I'm fast, the lens is fast and the pigeon up, up and away.


No comments:

Post a Comment