Monday 14 September 2009

It's official - I have started my blog.

What a day! I have decided to enter the world of blogging! What was I waiting for? An inspiring and worth while idea and reason of course! And, just imagine, I have found not only one idea ... but two!

But don't let me get ahead of myself ... is one not enough? Well, this reminds me of my Dad who waits and waits and .. yes ... waits for ages before making a decision and then when he finally has come to the painful realisation that a decision is only that, a decision, and pull himself together to make IT (the decision that is) well then : stand back everybody cause he means business and things cannot go fast enough!

So, yes where was I? oh yes, I am starting two blogs today! cause, I am after all my father's daughter! and now things can't go fast enough .. For the past months I have been pondering about projects that would excite me and be an outlet for my creativity.

I have been working as a freelance photographer for over twenty years. Two years ago, however, I got let's call a spade a spade, "fed up" and disillusioned with the world I was photographing! Don't get me wrong, for years I enjoyed the horse world and the fantastic sporting achievements I have been fortunate enough to document. However, there came a point where I no longer enjoyed not so much the sport itself nor the skills photographing horses and rides in peak action requires but some aspects that came with it and that simply got worse.

For example the way certain magazine editors dealt with photographers was, dare I say, a touch disrespectful of a photographers profession. But anyway I sort off ignored that the best I could. I had more difficulties with the way certain Press officers favoured a handful of photographers and allowed them, and only them, access to areas that provided interesting, more creative and unusual photos. I can think of one particular press officer who embodied more characteristics of a bullying sergeant major than a helpful press officer :) And, I remember some event stewards who turned into miniature dictators once given that hugely important role :)

The occasion I remember most fondly was when photographing at the international show ground in Aachen, the mecca of Show Jumping, I had to literally fight with a steward for a position I wanted to take a photo from. A premonition or moment of exceptional inspiration, possessed me to choose a position and angle to take a photo from which was outside the area all photographers were confined to. I had to use all my wits. Firstly to sneak out of the arena and take up the position I wanted just in time to take a particular rider I had set my eyes on. I knew I was going to produce a great shot from this position but I also knew I was going to be chased away from it in no time! My adrenalin was running high. I got to my destination in time. Rider and horse approached the final fence of the jump off in Aachen's Grand Prix. A Million $ in prize money was at stake if horse and rider cleared the final fence and won the Grand Prix. I was on a 300mm lens, head on to this monstrously big spread fence. I hand held the heavy beast because there was no time to set up my monopod. The fence was perfectly framed in my viewfinder, horse and rider filling the frame tightly. To avoid camera shake I kept my eye well pressed to the viewfinder and my elbows were firmly tucked into my sides. Looking through the lens I could see horse and rider approaching. Austrian show jumper Hugo Simon, a real fighter himself, just went hell for leather and approached the final fence in full speed. His horse ET was used to his jockey's demands and always took on his riders wishes with all his heart. Here they were, giving their best and I was ready to give mine. To maximise my chances for a perfectly focussed and sharp shot I had to hold my breath. Hugo misjudged his stride by a fraction. ET, getting very close to the front pole of the parallel fence, had to make an extra huge effort. In mid air Hugo did something I had never seen a rider do over a huge fence like that. The Austrian let go of both reins so to give his partner full use of his neck and with it the best possible chance of clearing the fence! Amazing to witness and even more exhilarating to capture! Yes, I got THE SHOT! And guess what? I am the only one who got it :)
Hugo and ET won the GP. Soon after, the organisers of Aachen decided to start a competition for best International Equestrian Photographer. I was lucky enough that this shot won me 1st prize in the The Silver Camera Award 1999.

"Fighting" for ones passion is always worth ones while!

But back to my attempt at blogging.

In fact I have never read anybody's blog and I am not sure at all whether anybody will ever stumble across my 2 blogs ... let alone one! and if anyone should come across it, would anybody ever stop and read or comment on my blogs?!

The reason why I want to start a blog is to reignite my passion for photography. You see, after my 4th book, Visions of Polo, was published I have sort of taken a rather extended sabbatical and neglected my creative outlet.

My interest went elsewhere. Mainly into building a property portfolio which I have successfully done over the past 3 years. But that's another story which I may share else where. But rest assured it's not the topic of my 2nd blog ;)

My second blog is about "an unusual love affair in london". Check it out. It's about to be launched too.

So, in order to get back on track and revive my photography and creativity I set myself a task.

Armed with my camera I will explore London every day. The challenge is to re-stimulate my visual awareness and to produce interesting shots. I will also narrow my daily photographic exploits down to one image alone that I will post on my blog. You may ask why one image and why roam the streets of London? Choosing one image alone is a great exercise. I am hoping that the additional task will strengthen my ability to capture the essence of a given subject. The purpose being that one strong photo should tell the story. By the way, making the right visual choice is not necessarily a gift one is born with. It can be mastered. First step is to train improving ones eye for light, composition and timing: the 3 vital elements for achieving striking memorable images, in my opinion. A photographer simply has to be ruthless when it comes to framing. You don't want to get a surprise after you have taken your shot. You have to be aware and happy with your shot at the very moment of framing and releasing the shutter. No good relying on retouching and spending hours (or minutes depending on how capable you are) on the computer! I am talking about pure photography! What you see is what you get! And yes it can mean putting effort into it! Use your feet to get closer to a subject for example! The lens is the continuation of your eye and the means by which you are able to frame a subject.

And why London? Well, because I live in South West London and I want to discover new areas and gain a better feeling for the capital.

Today, however to get me started I want to share the photo that has won me Best International Equestrian Photographer.


1 comment:

  1. The world of equestrian photography is the poorer without you. I've seen Hugo and one or two others use the drop reins technique in the final stages of a puissance, but not in a big GP as far as I recall. Great idea to let the horse sort things out without any interference if the rider can stay in balance of course.
    As a Londoner born & bred, I hope your London project will be rewarding. Nowadays I prefer living a quieter life in beautiful Buxton. It would be good to see you if you ever visit this area.

    ReplyDelete