Wednesday 7 October 2009

Breaking the rule


It's been chucking it down relentlessly all afternoon.

I could even go as far as to say that it really was an unpleasant day to be roaming the streets of London. Still, I could no longer delay my mission to getting out the house in search of my shot of day.

Armed with a huge umbrella I ventured out. I decided to keep my equipment simple and used the 50mm f1.4 lens. Generally one refers to the 50mm lens as being the one that is closest to our normal radius of vision. It's small in size, handles very easily and although I always refer to the 70mm-200mm zoom lens as being my favourite lens, I really like the 50mm lens a lot! It takes me back to my first ever shots taken with an SLR camera. When I started to photograph, cameras were usually sold with a 50mm lens as a customary package. I had to buy this one separately though and I went for one with an opening of f1.4 as it is more light sensitive than the cheaper f1.8 version. Canon also make a f1.0L UMS version which is amazingly bright and the fastest interchangeable SLR lens! Needless to say, it is beautiful and cost the earth!

But I am happy with the one I've got! Grateful that I wasn't carrying my customary heavy equipment I made a dash down my road, across the main road and straight into to nearest shop which happens to be my local stationary shop. The two brothers who own "Miss U" are great! The shop is tiny but has everything you can think of and more! While fighting to close my umbrella I take a shot of Ilesh behind the counter - he smiles and wants me to give him my camera!

"I like cameras! I'm always the one who takes all the family photos."

"Great!"

Telling him about my blog and that his shot may very be the one for today provoked another big smile!

Little did I know at that time that as I stepped out of the shop again struggling with the wretched umbrella I instinctively pointed my camera first across the road to take a shot ... and then again out of the hip to take a guy running towards me...

What can I say? I like all 3 shots! They were all taken in the span of 5 minutes, if that, and really communicate the mood of the day.

Do I really have to make a choice and only publish one image or can I break my self inflicted rule?

I tell you what, I'm going to go for two!

You simply need to meet Ilesh and you also need to see that I wasn't telling fibs!







3 comments:

  1. Yuck weather, great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi just saw the photo, realy good work.
    see you in the shop soon.
    ilesh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though 50mm is indeed the normal standard lens, my first SLR (a second-hand Pentax SV) had a 55mm lens and years later I was happy to get a Konica with a 40mm one, which I found very useful.
    Absolutely right to post 2 pics - rules are made to be broken when necessary!

    ReplyDelete