Tuesday 27 October 2009

Landmark with a twist


What do you do when you surface from the underground and realise you have take the wrong exit?
Do you
a)go back the way you came from and have another go at finding the right exit underground?
or
b)do you stick with that exit and try and make your way to where you want to be over ground?
You see, I was up there, so close and yet so far from where I wanted to be! Other people where already there ... they must have taken the correct exit, right?! or maybe some had done what I was about to do:
Take my life into my very hands and cross over a busy round about! Buses, taxis, cars, lorries, vans, motorbikes, even bicycles ... all trying to get in, around and out again ... preferably taking the right exit for them!

Sounds worth than it actually is :) yes, I had to be quick and look very carefully - other than that : a piece of cake!

So, here I was in the middle of the Marble Arch roundabout - bang in front of the famous Arch itself. I'm a bit disappointed. Looking at it with Park Lane behind me, Marble Arch doesn't look very good at all. The big buildings behind it spoil the shot.
I walk around trying to find an angle that would help throw the background out but ... no, nothing. Looking around me I see a strange looking sculpture and can't make out what it is. Looks impressive so I get closer ... Ah, now I know why I can't make out what it is ... I was looking at it from behind!
Being in front of it makes all the difference! In a strange thought of way, or because of my background, I like it ... but I can't figure out why on earth it's been placed here ... no plaque to read who made it ... nothing ... let's just say it's any body's guess .. and leave it at that!

I am yet to get a good picture of the Arch itself though! So I keep walking around it. No easy way across. I have to walk through the Arch itself, (that's a lovely feeling!) before I can cross over to the other side.

That's better! I can get it all in now without having something unwanted sticking out of it! I still have to be careful not to get run over though..:) I take refuge next to a van that's (illegally) parked there... engine still running, no driver in sight ... I just wait until the lights turn and bingo I get a good full view of Marble Arch without cars. I'm happy. Seeing Marble Arch in detail and paying that much attention to it brings me back to when I first came to London.
I guess it is a bit odd that it should stand here but then again, there seems to be an explanation which reads as follows:
It was built in 1828 as the chief entrance to Buckingham Palace, but when the Palace was extended in 1851, the Arch was moved to its current site as an entrance to Hyde Park. By tradition, only senior members of the royal family, the King’s Troop and the Royal Horse Artillery are allowed to ride or drive through the Arch... and I!

I walked further along and to my surprise two policemen asked me:
"Do you want us in the photo?"
"No!"
"We don't charge!"
Now, that would be even stranger. Just image the police started to charge people for being in a photo!
I take another shot of the lovely Arch but without them!


Now I'm thinking I should have taken them up on their offer if only to carry that photo around with me should I ever get stopped again by a policeman because I'm taking pictures ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment