Friday 9 October 2009

At long last


Every time I am in Balham I see this man ... and each time I say to myself : "he would make a good picture". And I ask myself how I could best catch him ... should I ask him, should I strike up a conversation, should I get him unaware? What? I always feel that when you ask a person whether they would be OK having their photo taken, they become very self conscious. Their expression changes and the shot one once thought would make an interesting one, is gone...

Anyway, I was on my way to having my hair cut when I saw him crossing the road. The same thought entered my mind .. only this time it was followed by, "never mind he's on his way home."

So I walk into Style and Beauty on Bedford Hill and immediately take a snap of "Bettie" looking rather bored sitting under the hairdryer. She didn't notice. Irish Bettie, I'm later told, is 80 and I must say is looking "grand" for her age!

Elaine, has never seen me with a camera.
"Nice camera, how much would a camera like that cost? My son loves taking photos - he's not quite four years old mind you but he's always clicking away. I love looking at photos but don't ask me to be in one!

"No, you're fine, I won't!"

Shame, I thought because, capturing people in their work environment is something I love doing.

Anyway, looking none the worse for my haircut I'm off, still in search of my shot.

I head over to my bicycle, unlock it, push it along the pavement and what I see from a distance puts a smile on my face.

I'm pushing my bike faster now. Next to the bench in front of the pub there is no other than "that man" again.

He's turning straight towards me with a big grin. While attaching my bike I take a first shot. I've actually exchanged a few words with him before ... before I started my blog ... but he won't remember and you'll soon know why! He's commented on my bike before saying that it's safe here because he will look after it!

"Are you going to look after my bike then?" click...

"Yeah, it's safe here. And he continues to say words I couldn't quite figure out.

"Pardon?"

It sounded like : "I'm retired. I have a camera (he pretends he's taking a photo). I used to do welding. That's my car." (he pointed at an empty hearse !).

"Ah, OK and what's your name?"

"Bill. Bill and Ben!" he stretched out his hand.

We shake hands. "Nice to meet you Bill!" click, click

All in the span of 2 minutes.

"OK I'll be back Bill just going to that shop."

He's back sitting on his bench, minding my bike.

When I get back Bill's standing under the flower basket in front of he pub, beer can in hand chatting to another man.

I wave, "see you again Bill."

He waves back.






1 comment: