Wednesday 23 September 2009

What would you do?


No excuse to stay indoors today. Chores done. It's time for my wander around.

"The car needs washing, why don't you come with me and see where it takes you today!"

"Hey, why not. Sounds like a good idea!"

Favourite lens mounted on the 5D in one hand and Crumpler bag in the other, I jump in the passenger seat. Shirley and I are off the local car wash.

No one other than us two around, I start taking a few shots of Shirley struggling with two hoses and a jet gun :) Water and foam everywhere! Getting a good angle of the spectacle was quite tricky. I really didn't want to see my equipment on the receiving end of that irate water jet :)

It's fair to say that we were all glad when a chirping sound coming out of that bizarre machine announced the happy ending to the affair.

On to cleaning the inside of the car.

"Rather you than me."

Besides, I am on a mission, right?! At this rate, I really wasn't sure where my shot of the day was going to come from...

Fortunately, the petrol station filled out. I observe movement wherever I turn to. The light is proving to be quite interesting too. Maybe something will come of hanging around here a bit longer?! Besides, Shirley was still giving the car a good clean!

I have my eye fixed on a biker tending to his good looking Triumph motorbike. Memories of having had a ride on the back of one of those a couple of years ago, keeps me interested.

Oblivious to being studied by my keen lens, the guy filled the Triumph up. He strolled across to pay. Strolled back out and over to his motorbike. Glancing carefully at it, he started the engine, mounted it and smoothly took off. Finally, I release the shutter and catch the pair.

I like that shot! I feel what really makes it is the balance between the smooth action of the main subject and the pedestrian who happened to just pass through the frame at the right time.

However, the day was still young and at this stage I wasn't sure yet whether this shot would be the one that makes it onto the blog.

"Let's go for a little drive and see what else we encounter."

My driver showed willing.

Stop, stop : two elderly black men engrossed in a conversation on a street corner - window wound down I took a shot. Oh boy, that didn't go down very well. They noticed me and came straight over.
"Why are you taking a photo of us? You shouldn't be doing that!"
I never know how to reply when I sense a certain disgruntlement. Would they know about blogging, I wondered .. and out came : "I'm doing a feature on Wandsworth"

"Well, you should ask before you take a picture!"

Deep down I know they have a point... If I was aware of a stranger taking a photo of me I probably wouldn't be very happy about it either, I thought ...then again, what is there to fear?

I think that people in London are very suspicious. And as soon as one is seen with a bit of a weighty lens, I suppose it looks imposing and heightens people's suspicion.

However, what people don't realise is that if I see a good shot but, would have to ask them first whether they would allow me to take their photo, the mood and quality I am after would be totally lost...

Still reflecting on their comments, we drove on. Next I saw a traffic warden in one of the side streets. She was carefully issuing a fine. Let me get out of the car - maybe that's less offensive and, who knows, maybe I can get a shot of her?

A few shots in the bag, I made my way closer. Just as I wanted to get on the other side of her to get a better angle, the young woman burst out in tears.

"I hate this job! Please don't take a photo of me in this shit uniform. I have been studying photography for two years in my country and I can only do this terrible job. I hate this job!"

Oh my God what have I done now?

"It's not you .. I just hate this job. I hate this uniform. I don't want to be seen in it nor end up on the Internet in this shit uniform!"

I tried to calm her down. "Ok, I won't."

Believe it or not, the polish woman actually looked good in her shit uniform! All the paraphernalia traffic wardens are equipped with these days dangling from her neck. She even had a camera herself!

But it's true. She looked very unhappy.

I wanted to cheer her up. So we chit chat about photography. I give her the address to my website. She promises to check it out .

"Send me an e-mail Anna, maybe I can help."

Reflecting on the two incidents I encountered today, I realise even more so that doing my blog is really not only about getting an interesting, spontaneous shot. It is also about the people. Talking to them and getting to know a bit about them makes this challenge I set myself even more special.

And, giving this more thought I understand that being an onlooker and stranger to most people I see, I will have to be more careful.

After all I want to be successful at capturing the essence of what's happening around the streets of London.







No comments:

Post a Comment