Wednesday 16 September 2009

Happy snapping everybody!

School's out when I thought it had only just begun.Yes, but school's out every day, right!

Today I got caught up in this afternoon's school run rush ... on foot ... walking the streets of Balham, South West London, "armed" (I'll explain later...) with the same "canon" as yesterday. Memories of my own school days flooding my mind, taking me right back to when as teenagers we used to surge out of the dreaded building as fast as we could only to swamp the streets of Vienna showing little respect... and being as loud and extrovert as only we could be.

Fast forward to today. Street photography - what fun it can be ... striding leisurely along, quietly observing, always on the look out for interesting behaviour that could turn into a story.

Hanging out at Bus stops proved to be the most common occupation and, for me, the most fertile ground.

I walked along Balham High Street clocking up a few bus stops ... nothing much happening other than kids taking up a lot of space ... some kids sharing earphones listening to no doubt the latest rap, others gossiping while staring at another group. no of which really caught my attention - I missed one shot thought which I found quite sweet of 2 small children running round a street post and getting tangled up in one another :)

So on I went another 2 bus stops - from a fare I could already sense that something more attractive was going to happen there. A lot of commotion and loud behaviour - the closer I got the louder the laughs and the more vibrant the mood. Wanting to be prepared for anything I slowly pulled the camera to my eye when out of the blue a group of teenage girls turned around and demonstrated their exuberance, playing full out to the camera. What I like most about the shot is that is was so spontaneous and part of each girl's character shines through.



Happy with my image and in the mood of capturing more images I carried on walking up to Clapham South Tube Station and the lovely common. I was torn between mothers with prams and derelict public toilets :) so on I went.

Crossing the road to reach another part of the common, I turned around and saw a police officer on his bike. Used to taking action shots I instinctively took a photo which prompted the dashing police officer (ahhhh, now I know why I took the shot) to stop, get off his bike and tell me that because I am taking photos I must give him my name. Stunned by such non sense I politely asked :"why? Since when is one not allowed to take photograph?"

"Well, since the act of terrorism -

"Do you mean to say that I am not allowed to take photos in the streets or the common or anywhere in London because of fear that I may be a terrorist?" "no, you are allowed to take picture unless I assess the situation and conclude that you are representing a genuine threat. However, we have to treat every body with a camera as a potential threat and take their name and fill out a form"

"Now, wait a minute", I said, don't you think you are taking things a touch too far?"

I am actually not quite sure how I kept y cool because I was immediately taken back to my days photographing at big international events. Photographers are not allowed to do this, that and the other ... and if there is one thing I dislike most then it's people's who can't help themselves from putting other people in pigeon holes. All kids wearing hoodies are of course criminals :) but people with cameras = possible terrorist? isn't that taking matter a bit too far?

Happy snapping everybody. And good luck to the numerous tourists London attracts day in day out!





No comments:

Post a Comment