Wednesday 30 September 2009

When patience pays off


The month of September has been good to us Londoners. Since the downpour we had the day I started my blog, September 14th, it hasn't rained once!

Taking the camera out when the sun's out is simply so much more inspiring than when the light i poor and dull. No light means lack of contrast. It means lack of vibrancy. Nothing reflects. I struggle on such days...

Today was such a day.

As beautifully as the sky lit up yesterday morning, as dull and dark was it today. Come 7am, when I left the house to go chanting with my friend Simone, the thick layer of clouds was still hiding the sun.

Short of giving you a detailed hourly weather report of the entire day, suffice it to say that it remained dull and overcast...

What was I going to do for my blog? Where would my inspiration come from and when would the slightest beam of light make it through the layer of clouds? When would I get the photo of the day?

Well, I had lots to do at home. E-mails to write, Buddhist schedule to organise, design, print out, send off and even hand deliver to some members who don't own a computer ... yes, there are still some people who resist being a slave to that form of communication :)

However I was getting a touch itchy. There is no way I'm not going to produce a blog and shot. Patience.., I guess it was time to make a start at fine tuning that virtue.

The days are getting shorter and shorter each day .. so around 5pm I thought I'd better make a move. Nothing caught me eye. Absolutely nothing! A man leaning against a wall, a beer can next to him, just about summed up how desperate the situation was getting!

Out for an hour and I didn't get anything better than that. I walked home thinking that I have to tell it how it is and if this was going to be the best shot I got, so be it. After all, I have to be honest.

But England wouldn't be England if come 6.30 pm, when the day's almost over, the sun wouldn't decide to make an appearance!

Excited, I grab my equipment and make a dash for the common. This is where the sun sets.

Finally some interesting light to play with! I am determined to get a better shot than the one of the man and his empty can of beer!

I reach the common and, to my delight, I notice that I'm not the only one out to play.

A man and his dog are having fun. Not sure who is enjoying the walk more actually? The man whom is throwing the tennis ball or the dog retrieving it?

Or could it by any chance even be me?!

Following the dog in full flight certainly brightened up my evening! Playing with the shadows the low lowing sun throws can be quite tricky too. One has to be carefull not to get ones own shadow in shot.


The photo was shot at a 30/s



No comments:

Post a Comment