Tuesday 22 September 2009

How streetwise are you?


Waking up this morning I was all set to have a productive day!

I had a few thing lined up. The major one was to research (and hopefully find) a gadget that will assist me in capturing the best ever under water footage anybody has ever taken at the Lido :)

The next task was to update my website by adding a page that would inform people about my blogs.

Number one was done in good time! Amazing what one can find on the Internet - And, I must tell you, I have the coolest brother because this "thing" :) I will introduce you to in due cause, is a belated birthday present from my brother ... yes, I had a bit of a "big" birthday back in April I'm afraid ...:)

Number two - adding a few details on my site went fairly smoothly too. Up until it was time to upload the changes that is. I'm designing my site in i.web 09 and, as of one week ago, I have installed Snow Leopard, the latest Apple OS.

Well, what can I say. Apple has let me down a bit for the first time. Snow Leopard has proved to have a few issues with certain applications. One of which is uploading to your FTP directly from i.web. The connection failed, failed and failed again. Time to call Easily, my host and figure out what is going wrong.

I'm sure you are familiar with the scenario when calling any technical support:) Yawn, Easily is no different!

Suffice it to say that by googling forums on the matter, I ended up figuring out myself what to do. Tip: should you by any chance have similar difficulties using i.web/snow leopard use the forum.
And as we are on the subject, should you be using Cyberduck and it worked well in Leopard, note that you will be needing Cyberduck version 3.3b1 if you are running Snow Leopard.

Yes, I know, tedious stuff :) But hey, I got my revised site uploaded! Monumental success I will have you know :) Specially as, while I was on the phone, trying to make sense of what Easily were (falsely) instructing me to do, a deafening racket that was going on in front of my house.

The windows of my office were vibrating and the noise would simply not stop ... here I was holding for Omar from Easily to ask his supervisor for advise ... cause his colleague managed to instruct me on how to delete my entire site but wasn't able help me upload it :)

Great stuff! The commotion outside didn't help in the slightest!

Time was ticking away. When was I ever going to go on my blog journey? Can't stop now. Have to fix the website first.

Still holding for Omar.

Suddenly Shirley had the brilliant idea of sending me out with my camera to document what that ear-splitting racket was all about!

"Ok cool, why not. You talk to Omar :)"

Off I went. No bicycle, no tube to take, not even a bus! I opened my front door and bingo: Action!

The lads were not enthralled having a camera being pointed at them. Not a smile - no, on the contrary, they went about their business looking rather grim faced. Well, I guess I didn't have much to smile about either at his point ... other than proving to be a touch more streetwise today than had been yesterday :)










1 comment:

  1. It's all about turning a rubbish situation into one that works 4 U :)

    ReplyDelete