Friday 18 September 2009

A bit of black magic


Fifth day into my newly found passion : bogging and I feel like I'm getting a bit more organised planning my day around my assignment. It has almost become what I centre my day around .. well, not quite as I set myself quite a routine from the moment the alarm goes off.

Today the soothing chime went off at 6.30 am - one snooze allowed :) but then up, up AND away! But it's still dark then ... Yes, that's right. That's why the camera has time to make it out of its bag less hastily. Besides, my first move is doing my back exercises. Then on to my buddhist practice. The reward : a bee line to the Tooting Bec Lido for my fix! Ahhh what an amazing morning and swim that was today!

Once back, it's breakfast. My mind ticking away between each sip of Rooibos tea. Where am I going to go today and what does my day actually look like? Well, an appointment in town at 2pm which means leaving home at the latest at 1.15pm.

Ok once that was settled, I quickly checked e-mails ... that's never a quick move though...and always takes up much to much time!

What? it's already 12.15 ... I want to get my shot in before heading into town as I'll be in the same area as I was yesterday and found that rather uninspiring.
I know, I thought, I'll cycle into Balham see if I can catch a my friend, Ian, who always hangs out at his favourite caf. I'll sit with him and see what atmospheric shots I can capture there. London has turned into such a coffee and sitting in the street culture.

As it happens, Ian was no where to be seen.. well maybe I left it a bit too late ... it was 12.30 by now ... but hey, I had things to do, places to go ..:)

The good news was that I had 45 minutes to get inspired and observe Balham High Street and the Hildreth Street market area.

It was fairly busy. Lots of mothers and prams and fathers holding babies - London really has changed!

Pigeons flying all over the place. Some sitting on cars. Some tucked away in a nasty looking corner of Waitrose's car park. Suddenly, I noticed quite a commotion amongst the birds. Excited they welcomed the hand that fed them. I was quick enough to react and get a shot of that- It's a good shot. There is even one pigeon in mid air next to the hand releasing a flurry of bread crumbs.

A quick glance at the time confirmed that I still had 20 minutes in hand before I needed to catch the tube .. no harm to carry on. You never know what else might be lurking around the corner?

Across the road I noticed 2 youngsters on bicycles contemplating a shop window filled with an array of gadgets ... tempting I am sure - will they notice being observed? I have to be quick - and I was - and on they moved.

So did I, into Hildreth Street market - very quiet today - hardly any stalls - I counted 2. A cute Jack Russell tied to a post waiting patiently for his owner. That made a cute shot too.

I look around, still in search of a bit of action .... when what I saw next can only be described as a bit of black magic!








No comments:

Post a Comment