Tuesday 29 September 2009

Early bird catches the worm


It's this time of year again when it's still pitch dark when one gets up "relatively early" at 6am.

Why so early? Well, things to do, places to go... besides, I am a morning person. I usually wake up at least a nano second before my alarm is due to go off. Why even use an alarm then?! I wouldn't want to be missing the break of a new day :)

I think my affinity with early mornings stems from my riding days. Even as a child living in the countryside I used to love taking my pony out for early morning rides with my father. He used to draw my attention to the lovely light and point out all the wildlife one could see then. Summers in Austria can get very hot and it just made sense to take the horses out when the temperature hadn't risen too high yet. Watching the sun gently rise I notice already then what a difference light makes and how it affects life.

Traveling to South Africa this spring was another reminder of what I had experienced as a child.
On Safari, we got up around 4am each morning to be sure to catch as much wildlife as possible. The backdrop early morning light offered was spectacular.

This morning was no different. I woke around 6am. It was still dark. I waited half a snooze before leaving the warmth of the bed.

Time for the customary back exercises. Laying out my mat in the east facing front room I could notice the first brightening. The day was finally getting on its way. No sooner than I had my first couple exercises done, did I spot yet another change in the light. A pink glow was hitting the mat. Up I got. Looked out the window and, there it was: a magnificently lit sky.

I grab my camera. Lens is still mounted. I open the window and point to what I see.

The ISA was set to 400, the lens was wide open at f2.8 which worked well.

The top of the roofs coupled with the chimneys added to the drama that was unfolding in the London sky.






No comments:

Post a Comment