Monday 28 September 2009

Sweet dreams are made of this


Monday, and we are all rushing around again. Mind you, almost all of my days, with the exception of yesterday, remind me of a spinning wheel of events without breaks. Not the slightest breather factored in ... even sending a quick text message to my mother, telling her that I posted a small packet for her, is done while I'm on the phone to organise the Buddhist schedule for next month.

No sooner has the text message left my mobile phone, do I receive a text message back from my mother.
"Thanx, I can see you are in hurry from reading your blog. Afpelstrudel looked good, was it as good as it looked? Did poor Polish woman have a bite of it?"

Amazed (and delighted) about the fact that my Mum (and Dad I suppose) are reading my blog, I quickly replied.

"Wow you are reading my blog!"

"Yes, a sure way of getting your news!"

That made me laugh out loud! Well, it's not as if I didn't call my parents to keep in touch ... but I must confess that as of late my phone calls haven't been as frequent as they used to be ... but we all know what it's like ... busy, busy busy :) Besides, my parents live in Austria. So not just round the corner either!
Ok, you read it here first. I promise to call more often again :)

Time to get on the tube and head into town for my one to one session at the Apple store. I want to know more about putting a blog page on my website using i.Web. The idea being that one can put a lot of info on a blog. Lots of links which makes my site more interactive, more interesting and hopefully more people will find me on the World Wide Web.

Laptop packed and favourite camera and lens at hand I make it to the Tooting Bec tube station in 2 minutes flat.

This time, I thought of keeping an eye out for what's happening on the tube. I wanted to see if I could capture something quirky around people on the tube.

I board the Northern Line up to Stockwell... nothing... At Stockwell I have to change over to the Victoria Line. As I'm walking up and down the platform I see a lady reading a book ... but not just any book! No, the title of the book suggest that she means business.

As I'm deciding on how best I could capture her, the train pulls in. We both get on. I make sure I sit diagonally opposite her so to get a good angle. The train is moving, gathering speed and shaking it's passengers a fair bit around. The lady is engrossed in her book. How am I going to get a good shot of her?

The available light in the carriage is poor to say the least. Up goes the ISA setting. I choose 800. Set my shutter speed to 100/s and am hoping for less movement. It's not happening The Victoria Line must be one of the most uncomfortable ones ;)

But anyway; I wasn't going to give up as easily as that. We are pulling into Vauxhall station. Here is my chance. I've got my camera resting on my knee. Aiming my lens at the immersed lady, I release the shutter. Click. I hope that wasn't too loud. I don't want to draw her attention.

No, I'm OK - she is so ensconced that nothing would phase her. I have another go at the next station. Both shots felt good. But there is no knowing for sure. Now I can't wait to get home to check it out. Yes one can aways check on the review screen of the camera ... but it doesn't compares to seeing it in large.

Walking down Oxford Street after my fantasic i.Web session I get a few more interesting shots.

But, I tell you what. My decision is made. I'm sticking with my "tube lady".
Watch this space because I may very well catch her again some day. This time hopefully accompanied by the real thing :)








No comments:

Post a Comment