Tuesday 15 September 2009

Here we go, the camera is out of the bag.



Oh my god.. it's my first day of "getting visual in london" and it's raining cats and dogs! which brings me straight back to my days as an Equestrian and country pursuit photographer where no matter what the weather did, it was all about reporting, capturing the atmosphere of a certain event,catching the winner and mastering the art of keeping you and your equipment dry! Does nothing ever change? :) Do I have to be subjected to this gruelling regime again? :) I thought that those days were long gone ... well, not quite as it seems!

A challenge will remain a challenge though. And, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, so the saying goes! To top it, this challenge is a self inflicted one! I must be mad! But I am one who aways rises to challenges. Actually, I thrive on them!

So Elizabeth, stop lamenting and get out there. Hey, wait a minute. I haven't actually got my equipment together ... it's been a while since I got my Canon babies out for a spin. Last time was this spring when I travelled to South Africa and went on my first ever Wildlife Safari! How awesome was that! But for today, let me see. Which one shall I get my hands on for this first day's shooting? I don't really need a fast motor drive so the Canon EOS 1D mark II would be overkill , specially as it is quite heavy. How about the Canon EOS 5D. Yes that'll do. The battery pack needs toping up though and as soon as that's done I'll be on my merry way.

While the battery pack is charging I'll quickly check whether anybody has actually been on my blog.

Hey, this is amazing! I got a comment and a follower! Wow - Thank you for your lovely comment Linda! and I got 3 thumbs up from friends I have on facebook. I'm not really very active on facebook ... but when I saw the link to facebook on blogger I thought why not let my facebook friends know... and bingo some of you gave me a sign. That's cool! and I'm thinking that it is good to keep my friends in the loop and that I want to check in with them more regularly to see what they are up to. Oh boy will I be busy! As I'm slowly discovering how demanding this social networking can be I'm asking: What have I let myself into? :)

Catch you later with the 1st image.


I wasn't kidding when I said it was raining cats and dogs! It was in fact pouring relentlessly and with the battery fully charged I simply had to go out, right?! I made it 2 minutes out the house and took shelter by Tooting Bec Tube station - I found out that living so close to an underground station is great for more than one reason :) and this is where I took this shot. I did however, brave the elements more and walked , I repeat, walked all the way down to Tooting Broadway :)
Yes, I took more photos, in fact one other one that I quite like ... cause it shows the ethnic diversity of London. But I felt the image wasn't "strong" enough and I know that I will capture that much better another time.

I'm soaked to the bone and in need of a piping hot cup of rooibus tea.

Oh, and the camera: none the worse for its outing!

No comments:

Post a Comment