Monday 2 November 2009

Unexpected discovery


It all started at the pool early this morning ... well to be more precise it started in the sauna ... no it's not what you may think! what are you thinking, I wonder? Well, I'm talking about a hot (literally) tip! A tip of something a bit different to capture for my daily blog.

After a great swim and a lovely chat in the sauna ... it's amazing what people one gets to chat to ... I was well inspired to check out an area in South West London I sort of know ... but come to think of it don't know. Or else I would have known of this particular landmark before!

Anyway, the funny thing is, I often go to Brixton because South London's Nichiren Buddhist Centre is in Brixton. Living in South West London, I regularly go to the centre for meetings, lectures. I also volunteer at reception once a month. However, Brixton covers a big area as I have discovered today - I had to consult google map to find my way to what I was going to photograph :)

On this lovely sunny autumn's day I was more than ready to jump on my bike. Knowing that I was going to be photographing a tall, and distinctive looking construction I immediately mounted my wide angle zoom lens I so successfully bonded with on friday!

I was heading to Blenheim Gardens, SW2 just off Brixton Hill.
I turn left into Blenheim Gardens ... still wondering where and when I'll get to see "it" ?!

The Brixton Windmill! It was built in 1816 when the land around it was still rural. The windmill closed in 1862 when housing started to be built around it, robbing it of wind! Although it was steam and the gas powered for a while in the 1930, it is now derelict and awaiting restoration...

I find it rather special and was immediately drawn to it!

Maybe because finding a windmill in the middle of a very busy London area it is so unexpected? or maybe simply because being able allowed such close access to the Brixton Windmills is really a special experience!



No comments:

Post a Comment