Tuesday 24 November 2009

Keep the air circulating


Have you ever seen anything like it?

If you live in the UK, you might have... If you live in a less damp country you probably (and luckily) haven't! If on the other hand you live in a place where air doesn't circulate well enough humidity gets trapped. The result is the appearance of a nasty condensation fungus. Not a pretty sight and on top of it, if left untreated spreads extremely fast. It first starts off black (which is the state I caught it at) and can rapidly turn green and then even red...
I live by the motto "one stitch in time saves nine" and I had an damp inspector come round to the property in question week ago.
And today, I witnessed the installation of the solution to this nasty condensation mould. Apparently a lot of study has gone into finding a resolution - The focus is not as much on finding the "right" temperature for the room or rooms in question but force the air to circulate. One device pushes air in and another sucks it out the at a different location.

In comes Carl with his magic circular drill!

Amazing work. A perfect hole to the outside world!

in goes the unit that sucks the air out.


outside bit

inside bit

Bingo this will work - so says Carl (who fits about three of these a day). As for me, my fingers, legs and everything I can think of are crossed - the installation had a fair price tag on it ... so it better work!
Apparently it works wonders immediately. All I had to do was to wash off all the mould (using warm water and bleach) and maximum 10 days after installation all should be totally dry.
Good bye condensation mould... forever!

Stay tuned for the verdict - I'm going for re inspection in a couple of weeks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment