Friday 27 November 2009

Trip down Memory Lane


Whenever I travel to or from Waterloo I have flash backs of the first time I used the station. It was very exciting then because I had an appointment at King's Reach Tower, home what was then to IPC magazines. I was to see Melvin Van Gelderen, art editor of Horse & Hound magazine to show my portfolio. I remember stopping at the top of the stairs when coming out of the station, taking in the scenery ahead when a little voice in my head said: "I like what I see". I felt very good, confident and full of optimism about the meeting that lay a few walking minutes ahead.

That view has totally changed now - There was no Imax cinema in the centre of the roundabout then but "card board city", place of many homeless, sleeping rough. Walking through it was a bit awkward. then on down Stamford Street and into the reception of IPC magazines.

Although I felt confident, I also had a few butterflies flying around. This was after all the very first time I was to show my photographs to someone in view of getting some work.

Melvin was very complementary of my work.
"These images are great, if they were current I'd use them today!"

I was pleased and smiled (not only internally)! This was the beginning. My career of what turned out to be 20 years of horse photography was launched.

Today, however, I didn't walk to King's Reach Tower but towards the river. So much happens along there and whenever I see a bit of action I feel compelled to take a shot.

This Skateboarder was having a go at jumping down a set of stairs. Just after having taken this shot, the group of youths were asked to move on. They were practicing behind the Hayward Gallery where skating is not allowed.

But hey, I got a shot. Once an action photographer always an action photographer!

No comments:

Post a Comment